ePub 版
[blocks in formation]

On the 30th of April the men departed for Elmira, where they were quartered in a barrel factory, and afterwards in the barracks.

COMPANY D. The call for troops which followed the commencement of hostilities, received a hearty response from the inhabitants of Canandaigua—the loveliest of our western Villages. The Stars and Stripes were flung to the breeze from the Old Court House, and the building turned into à recruiting station. Charles Sanford was the first one to enroll his name. Ninetythree others were added in the course of a few days to the list. On the 28th of April the following officers were elected:

Captain-J. R. CUTLER. First Lieutenant-STEPHEN T. DUEL. Second Lieutenant-SAMUEL A. BARRAS. Gideon Granger, Esq., Henry G. Chesebro and other prominent citizens, interested themselves in the Company, and aided materially in completing its organization. The ladies of the place, likewise, contributed very much to the comfort and enjoyment of the men, by furnishing them with ample supplies of clothing, manufactured under the auspices of the Relief Society. The Company was encamped on the beautiful and spacious Fair Grounds, east of the village, where several hours were devoted daily to drilling. On the 10th of May it took its departure for Elmira, 99 strong, where it became Co. D of the Thirty-third. .

N. BARE Lesebro in the



[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

NSPIRED with the common feel-
ing of patriotism which everywhere
suddenly manifested itself during
the month of April, '61, the in-
habitants of Geneseo, Livingston
County, immediately adopted mea-
sures for raising their quota of
men for the war. A public meet-
ing was called at the American
Hotel, enrolling papers produced,
and several recruits secured. A

second meeting was soon after held in the Town-hall, and during the week a third convened at the same place. Hon. Wm. H. Kelsey, Messrs. E. R. Hammond, John Rorbach, H. V. Colt and Jas. T. Norton, Editor of the Geneseo Republican, were prominent movers in the matter.

A company consisting of thirty-four was immediately raised, and volunteered in response to the call for seventeen thousand troops from New York State. They were not accepted at first. The organization was, however, continued, and the men went into camp on the fair ground, tents being furnished them. The Agricultural Buildings were also placed at their disposal. When the order was issued at Albany requiring the maximum number of each company accepted to be seventy-four, the list of recruits was increased to that figure, and the company accepted. -*On the 4th of May it was mustered



into the State Volunteer service for two years, by Col. Maxwell. The election for officers had resulted as follows:

Captain-WILSON B. WARFORD. 1st Lieutenant-Moses CHURCH. 2nd Lieutenant—John GUMMER.

Large numbers of spectators were attracted to the Fair Grounds to witness the drill of the men in infantry tactics, to which several hours were devoted daily. On the ninth of May the mustering papers were received from Albany, accompanied with marching orders. The Company did not leave, however, until the 15th, nearly a week afterwards. Prior to its departure a splendid battle flag was received from Company A, Fifty-ninth Regiment, N. Y. S. Militia, Sidney Ward, Esq., making the presentation remarks, and Taylor Scott, Esq., replying in behalf of the Company. The citizens of the place also presented Captain Warford with an elegant silver-mounted revolver. Leaving in the morning, amidst much enthusiasm, the Company reached Elmira on the afternoon of the same day, and soon afterward became Co. E, Thirty-third N. Y.

COMPANY F. On the afternoon of Friday, April 19th, 1861, a brief telegram was received at the village of Nunda, from Gen. Fullerton, inquiring if “Nunda could furnish a Company under the call of the President for 75,000 men.” A meeting was immediately convened that evening, F. Gibbs, Esq.,



presiding. After brief speeches from the Chairman and others, volunteers were called for from among the audience, mostly made up of young men. Twenty-eight immediately stepped forward and entered their names upon the enlistment roll. On the succeeding Monday, Wednesday and Saturday evenings, meetings were again held, and enough more recruits secured to form a Company. Messrs. Skinner, Dickinson and Grover were appointed a Committee to superintend its organization. The citizens generously received volunteers into their homes, and provided for them while perfecting themselves in drill.

The ladies were, in the meantime, employed in manufacturing various articles for their comfort during the career on which they were about to enter. A relief fund was also raised for the support of such families as would be left dependent. On the 6th of May the Company was mustered by: Maj. Babbitt, and the following were elected officers.

Captain-JAMES M. MoNAIR.
1st Lieutenant-GEORGE T. HAMILTON.
2nd Lieutenant-HENRY G. KING.

Capt. McNair immediately proceeded to Albany, and procured the acceptance of the officers and men, the time of their service to date from May 13th. This intelligence was received at Nunda with all the enthusiasm which would now attend the reception of the news of a great victory.

The citizens turned out en masse to witness and participate in the exercises connected with the depart

[blocks in formation]

ure of the Company for the place of rendezvous. After music, prayer and the delivery of an address to the little band by the Rev. Mr. Metcalf, a revolver was bestowed upon Lieut. King by the Society of B. B. J., also one on Sergeant Hills, by Leander Hills, Esq. Each member of the Company was likewise provided with a Testament by Rev. Mr. Metcalf and John E. McNair, Esq. Miss Mary Linkletter then stepped forward and presented, on behalf of the ladies of the village, a silk flag, which was received by Captain McNair. The brass band and fire companies headed the escorting procession to the depot. Reaching Elmira on the 18th of May, the men were quartered on Lake Street, and, on becoming Co. F, Thirty-third N. Y., at the barracks.

COMPANY G, KNOWN as the Buffalo Company, was raised in that city, immediately succeeding the fall of Sumter. Fired with the patriotic zeal which everywhere exhibited itself during that eventful period, the inhabitants of the city put forth every exertion to raise volunteers for the Republic. Of the many companies organized, none were composed of better material, or presented a more martial appearance, than this. T. B. Hamilton, Esq., who has since become Lieutenant Colonel of the Sixty-Second New York Regiment, superintended its organization. Volunteers flocked to the recruiting station, and in a few days after the books were opened, seventyseven names were enrolled. The Company was

« 上一頁繼續 »