ePub 版



side of the miners), and precumner's and

Saturday evening, Sept. 6th, Franklin's Corps crossed the Long Bridge, followed by Sumner's and Hooker's (late McDowell's), and proceeded up the Maryland side of the river. All night long the solid, heavy tramp of troops could be heard through the. streets of the capital.

The Thirty-third passed up Pennsylvania Avenue about 7 o'clock, and marching until 2 o'clock Sunday morning, halted at Tanlytown. The march was resumed at 5 o'clock P. M., and continued for six miles.

Monday, Sept. 8th, marched through Rockville, halting one mile west of the place. Many of the knapsacks were left here, and afterwards sent back to Washington. Resuming the march, bivouacked four miles east of Darnestown.

Tuesday, Sept. 9th, moved at 9 o'clock A. M., and encamped near Seneca Creek. The weather was very warm and roads dusty, but, relieved of their knapsacks and other effects, the soldiers suffered comparatively little.

Thursday, Sept. 11th, marched at 9 o'clock, A. M., and halted about noon between Barnsville and Sugar Loaf Mountain.

Friday, Sept. 12th, marched at 9 A. M., encamping near Monocacy Bridge, which had been destroyed by the enemy, but was now re-built. The same day our advance, under Gen. Burnside, entered Frederick, the people turning out en masse to welcome them. Just before reaching the city they encountered a Brigade of rebel cavalry, under Fitz



hugh Lee, whipping and driving them before them in gallant style.

Crossing the bridge upon the following morning, Lieut.-Col. Corning was ordered forward with the Thirty-third and Twentieth New York, to drive the enemy out of Jefferson's Pass, an opening through the range of mountains extending southeast of and nearly parallel with the Blue Ridge.

Doffing such wearing apparel and equipments as were not necessary, the men pressed rapidly forward. Their dark blue uniforms and glistening bayonets soon appeared among the trees and green foliage of the mountain side, as they moved upward, scaling rocky ledges, and clinging hold of shrubs and branches, to steady their footing. The enemy, who were posted along the summit, hastily fled as they drew near, leaving it in their possession. A magnificent view presented itself from here. Stretching far away in every direction, were rich fields of grain, ripening into maturity, thousands of cattle feeding on the green hills, little villages and farm houses dotting the landscape, the church spires of Frederick looming up in the distance, and at the base of the Blue Mountains immense rebel trains, protected from attack by the frowning guns above. Descending the opposite side of the mountain, the two Regiments deployed as skirmishers, and moving forward a mile beyond the beautiful village of Jefferson, picketed for the night. All along the route they were enthusiastically received by the Marylanders. Fair maids plucked the richest flowers from their



gardens, and clustering them in rich bouquets, placed them in the hands of the brave New Yorkers. Grave matrons, with ruddy daughters, like Angels of Mercy, came to the gates by the road-side with cups of milk and water to refresh the thirsty soldiers. Such a reception was hardly expected, and was the more appreciated, after the long and unpleasant experiences among the rebel men and women of Virginia. The remainder of the Division came up here and rested for the night...

Heavy firing was heard in the direction of Harper's Ferry. While passing through Jefferson much merriment was occasioned by the chasing of a rebel cavalryman. Seeing him lagging behind, one of our troopers, clapping spurs to his horse, started in hot pursuit, yelling and screaming at the top of his voice, as he rode. He continued to gain on the gray-back, and when within a few yards, discharged his carbine and revolver simultaneously at him, which so alarmed the fugitive that he wheeled, and at once gave himself up. A little further on, Col. Irwin, of the Forty-ninth Pennsylvania, who had now assumed command of the Brigade, took after five rebel videttes, and riding into their midst with a revolver in each hand, compelled three of them to surrender.

When our forces advanced to Frederick, the enemy retreated on two turnpikes diverging from the city, and running through cuts in the Blue Ridge, six miles apart, and known as the South Mountain, or Turner's Pass, near Middletown, and 182 BATTLE AT CRAMPTON'S PASS. Crampton's Pass, near Burkettsville. Having fortified these and the surrounding hill-tops, they waited our approach. Gen. McClellan, after reviewing the situation for a short time, decided upon storming these positions. To Gen. Franklin he assigned the duty of taking Crampton's Pass, while he superintended operations personally at Turner's.

The Sixth Corps moved forward from the vicinity of Jefferson Sunday morning, and on nearing Burkettsville, was arranged for the attack. The enemy seeing this, opened a heavy fire from the guns planted on the heights, but the troops pressed rapidly forward on the double-quick over the ploughed fields and meadows, until the village was reached, when they halted in the streets. The Thirty-third lost but one man while running the gauntlet of the rebel batteries. Though shot and shell were flying in every direction, the citizens came out of their houses, waved their handkerchiefs, cheered for the “ Union Boys,” and brought them food and drink. After resting for a few moments, the advance was again sounded, and Slocum's Division moved to the right of the turnpike and engaged the enemy, while Gen. Brooks, supported by the Thirty-third and other Regiments of the Third Brigade, marched directly up the road. About 3 o'clock Slocum reached the Pass, and drove the enemy from it, after a hard fought battle. Brooks' column immediately came on, and dashing up the woody summit, charged the battery at the left of the Pass and captured two guns, together with numerous prisoners. Among



the number was Col. Lamar, of the Eighth Georgia, who had previously been taken at the battle of Golden's Farm and paroled. It now being dark, the troops retraced their steps to the Pass, and moving down the west side of the mountain, bivouacked at the foot in Pleasant Valley. Gens. Hooker and Reno had, in the meantime, stormed the South Mountain gorge, though in doing so the later lost his life.

Monday morning, the Sixth Corps stood to arms at sunrise, and prepared to march to the relief of Harper's Ferry. It was soon ascertained, however, that Col. Miles had surrendered that place, and the men went into camp again. This intelligence so affected Gen. McClellan as to cause him to shed tears. Tuesday, the Corps remained in Pleasant


« 上一頁繼續 »