« 上一頁繼續 »
Volume the First.
"These temples of His grace,
"And are built upon the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets,
SHERWOOD, GILBERT, AND PIPER:
A WORD TO THE READER.
HE "CHURCHMAN'S SUNDAY COMPANION" is intended chiefly for the COTTAGER CHURCHMAN; that
1. Become better acquainted with the Church of England and her principles.
2. Know the full meaning and value of her Scriptural Prayers.
3. See something of the success which attends her endeavours to spread the Gospel of Christ.
4. Have an opportunity of better understanding his
5. Be made acquainted with traits in the characters of holy men; and become imbued with their holy thoughts.
It is hoped that all the papers inserted will partake of the spirit of the learned and pious Hooker, "there will come a time when three words uttered with charity and meekness shall receive a far more blessed reward than three thousand volumes written with disdainful sharpness of wit." And if this little publication shall in any degree contribute to the peace and unity of the Church of Christ amongst us, or promote unfeigned piety in any member of the same; this will infinitely repay the labour which is expended upon it.
The haste with which this our first number has been got up, must be an apology for any inaccuracies. We hope in future to make some important improvements. JANUARY, 1844.