ePub 版


The death of this eminent Italian astronomer, who was a member of the Jesuits’ College at Rome, has lately been announced. He had not completed his sixtieth year, having been born on June 29, 1818, at Reggio, near Modena. In the year 1848 he went to America to take part in the work at the observatory recently founded at Georgetown College, near Washington. Secchi returned to Europe in 1850, and was appointed Professor of Astronomy and Director of the Observatory at the Collegio Romano at Rome, where his long-continued labours have made his name well known in the scientific world. Of late years he has devoted special attention to what may be called the new astronomy, spectrum analysis, both solar and sidereal, his contributions to which are of the most important character. We find on reference to the Royal Society's Catalogue of Scientific Papers that up to 1863 Father Secchi had published no less than 230 memoirs and papers. Since that period he has not been less active, and his contributions to Italian, French, and English societies, and publications, on solar, and especially spectroscopic, observations, have been unceasing. We may, therefore, conclude that the number of 300 will more nearly represent the extent of his labours. It is, of course, quite impossible to give a list of his works. We find him, in 1846 and 1847, writing on electro-magnetism, and proposing improvements in transmitting the signals of the electric telegraph. In 1851 he sent to the Académie des Sciences a remarkable memoir on the red flames seen at the time of the solar eclipse of July 8, and he also obtained and described some good photographs during the progress of that eclipse. Having command of the Roman Observatory, his labours were unceasing, and his observations on comets and stars indicate the most untiring energy. His physical researches were almost as numerous as his astronomical tasks, and some of Father Secchi's investigations of the phenomena of terrestrial magnetism and the influence of solar forces thereon are fine examples of inductive science. In 1856 Angelo Secchi was elected a foreign member of our Royal Society, and similar honours have been paid to this illustrious astronomer by most of the philosophical societies of Europe and America.


We have to announce the death of Sir George Gilbert Scott, R.A., who died suddenly on March 27 of heartdisease. By his death the ranks of English architects lose one of their most representative men and most honourable workers. Throughout his long career Sir Gilbert Scott has laboured constantly with the aim of ennobling the profession of which he was at the time of his demise the acknowledged head, and he has left behind him a splendid series of grandlydesigned and soundly-executed works to bear witness to the loftiness of the spirit which governed him in the carrying out of his engagements. A grandson of the Rev. Thomas Scott, the learned author of the “Commentary on the Bible,” and the son of a clergyman, he may be imagined to have inherited something of that bias towards the study of church architecture which, at any rate, early showed itself and induced his father to place him with an architect with the view of giving a systematic direction to his studies. Whence he derived his strong love for the Gothic style does not appear, but it exhibited itself, as already strongly developed, in 1844, when he was only thirty years of age, in the first work which brought him into prominent notice—his “Martyrs’ Memorial at Oxford.” In the following year the rebuilding of the church of St. Nicholas, at Hamburg, which had been destroyed in the great fire at that city, was entrusted to him in preference to all competitors, English and foreign. In 1855 he entered again into competition with the architects of Europe, and carried off the first prize offered for a design for a new hotel and Senate House at Hamburg. It was, however, as the head of the school of Gothic revival that his highest honours were won. In that school he had laboured at the time of his death for fully fifty years with a thoroughness of devotion rarely equalled in any branch of art. In 1855 he was elected an A.R.A., and in 1860 an R.A. Her Majesty conferred on him the honour of knighthood in 1872. Besides his extensive labours in the restoration of the cathedrals of Ely, Lichfield, Hereford, Ripon, Gloucester, Chester, St. Davids, St. Asaph, Bangor, Salisbury, and St. Albans, he has executed a great number of secular works, including the magnificent Infirmary at Leeds, and he was, besides, the author of several books on the sub

i. in which he was most deeply nterested—“A Plea for the Faithful Restoration of our Ancient Churches,” “Remarks on Secular and Domestic Architecture,” “Gleanings from Westminster Abbey,” &c.


Count Sclopis, who represented Italy at the Geneva arbitration in 1872, died on March 8 at Turin, at the age of eighty. After filling several offices in the public service, he was in 1848 appointed Minister of Justice and of Ecclesiastical Affairs, and at the general election which followed he was chosen as deputy for one of the colleges of Turin. In 1849 he was called to the Senate, of which he became Vice-President. He was a member of the Turin Academy, and at the head of the Committee for Studies in National History. He was the author of several works, including a “History of the Ancient Legislation of Piedmont,” “A History of Italian Legislalation,” and “Historical Researches as to the Political Relations between the Savoy Dynasty and the British Government.”


The Marquis d'Audiffret, a member of the Institute, and uncle of the Duc d'Audiffret-Pasquier, has just died, in his 91st year. Charles Louis Gaston, Marquis d'Audiffret, formerly a peer of France, senator under the Empire, and a member of the Institute, was born in Paris on October 10, 1787, and claimed descent from the ancient Italian family of the Audisfredi, who established themselves in Provence in the twelfth century. After the completion of his studies he entered in 1805 the Ministry of the French Finances, and was appointed in 1812 a chief clerk by M. Mollien, who, struck by his aptitude for business, caused him to be appointed auditor to the Council of State. In 1814 he eagerly welcomed the return of the Bourbons, and at the same period became head of his department and Knight of the Legion of Honour. Refusing to conform to the Acte Additionnel of the Hundred Days, he nevertheless retained his post. Having been made Master of Requests in 1817, and Councillor of State in 1828,

he was called on October 20, 1829, to discharge the duties of President of the Court of Accounts, and promoted, the following year, to the rank of Commander of the Legion of Honour. Under Louis Philippe he took his seat at the Luxembourg Palace as a peer of France, from 1837 to 1848, and was included by Louis Napoleon in the first creation of senators, dating from January 26, 1852. By decree of May 7, 1859, he was named President of the Board of Directors of the Société Générale de Crédit Commercial et Industriel, then newly established, he having been since October 7, 1847, and indeed until the date of his death, a grand officer of the Legion of Honour.


The death of Major-General James Campbell, late lieutenant-colonel of the Coast Brigade of Royal Artillery, is announced. Major-General Campbell was one of the very few English soldiers who have had the good fortune to rise from a private soldier to the rank of a major-general. Taking the King's shilling more than forty years ago, he rose through the junior non-commissioned grades to sergeant-major, and in July, 1847, was commissioned as adjutant of the Invalid Artillery. In May, 1855, he was promoted to captain, and in November, 1859, on the formation of the Coast Brigade of Royal Artillery, he was appointed its commanding officer, with the rank of major, obtaining advancement to lieutenant-colonel in April, 1865. His brevet colonelcy followed as a matter of course in April, 1870, and in May, 1872, he retired on full pay with honorary rank as major-general. Such has been the exceptional career of an officer who, without the expenditure of a shilling, had risen by his own merits from the rank of a simple bombardier to major-general's lace.


The Right Rev. John Gregg, D.D., Bishop of Cork, Cloyne, and Ross, died on the 26th, aged 80. He was the son of Richard Gregg, Esq., of Cappa, in the county of Clare, by Barbara, his wife, daughter of William FitzGerald, Esq., and sister of the Right Honour: able James FitzGerald. He received his education at Trinity College, Dublin, and on his ordination in 1826 became Incumbent of St. Paul's, Portarlington. In 1828 he was appointed Vicar of Killasallaghan, and subsequently he was Chaplain successively at the Bethesda and at Trinity Church, Dublin. He was made Archdeacon of Kildare in 1857, and was elevated to the Bishopric of Cork in 1862. The Bishop had a widespread reputation as an earnest and eloquent preacher.


Mr. Gordon, of Cluny, who has been in delicate health for some time, has just died. The Morning Post says that Mr. Gordon will long be remembered as one of the best of landlords. Out of his riches he expended liberally and judiciously in improving his estates and adding to the comfort of his tenants. At the present time a harbour is being erected on his Banffshire estate, which will, when completed, cost about 50,000l., and recently he arranged to erect two piers for the benefit #. the fishermen in the outer Hebricies.


One of the most promising and popular officers in Her Majesty's service— Captain Grant, of the Royal Artillery— died at Cannes on April 16, at the age of 37. He was the fifth son of Mr. and Lady Lucy Grant, of Kilgraston, Perthshire. He received his commission in 1859, and in 1861 he went to Madras on the staff of his uncle, Sir Hope Grant, then Commander-in-Chief of that Presidency, and with the exception of one visit to his native country, the rest of Capt. Grant's life was spent in India— the greater part of it in Staff appointments under different Viceroys, beginning with his uncle, Lord Elgin, in 1862. In 1866, at the early age of 26, he received an appointment in the Ordnance Department, which included the charge of the Allahabad and Cawnpore Department, the duties of which involved journeys to Nepaul, Burmah, and contiguous districts. In 1871 he accepted an appointment on the Staff of Lord Mayo, and went with that popular Viceroy on the expedition which brought his career to so tragic a close. Lord Mayo's opinion of Captain Grant's organising powers was shown by his appointment of him on three occasions to “post” his great camps—once at Bombay and twice at Calcutta. This rare power of organisation was con

spicuously displayed in 1874 in a responsible appointment which Captain Grant held in connection with the Famine Relief Works. And it was, no doubt, the same quality which pointed him out as the fittest person to receive the appointment of quartermaster-general of the Prince of Wales's camp during his northern tour in India, in 1876-77, as well as that of Grand Master of His Royal Highness's camp at the Installation of the Star of India. On the return of the Prince of Wales to England, Captain Grant was sent with Captain Biddulph on an important mission to Gilgit, in Cashmere. His mission, however, was brought to a premature close by a severe illness. But a strong constitution enabled him to rally and to take part in the ceremonies at Delhi on the occasion of the Queen's proclamation as Empress of India. The hardships of the journey.to Cashmere, however, had affected his lungs, and he was invalided home last summer. He was ordered to Cannes for the winter, and on Maunday Thursday his body was laid to rest in one of the brightest cemeteries on the continent of Europe.


Captain Charles Grey Jones, R.N., died on April 5, while a patient in Haslar Hospital. Captain Jones entered the navy in 1851, and was appointed to the Royal yacht at the close of the Crimean war. He was promoted to be mate in 1857, and made commander in April, 1865. After serving for three years in the Coastguard in Ireland, he was appointed to command the “Pert” at the Cape and on the West Coast of Africa, where, in conjunction with the late Consul Living: stone, he settled several little “wars" in the neighbourhood of the Bonny, the Opobo, and other “oil” rivers, and suppressed piracy in the Medorah, Pirate's Creek, Metaba, and other tributaries of the Congo. The “Pert” was afterward stationed off Brazil and the River Plate. In 1873 the “Pert” returned to England, and was paid off. Commander Jones was subsequently promoted to a post commission in 1874, and did not again serve afloat.


Mr. Henry Thomas Riley, M.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and Exeter College, Oxford, died % Croyservices, receiving the C.B. and the mutiny medal at the close of the campaign. Sir Francis Wheler, who was promoted major-general in 1861, subsequently commanded the Murat division of the Bengal army, and became a lieutenant-general in 1870.

don on April 14 of an illness which had been brought on by hard mental work. Mr. Riley was well known as a translator of ancient historical manuscripts, and was one of the inspectors for England nominated by the Royal Commission appointed in 1875.


The Rev. Benjamin Parsons Symons, D.D., formerly warden of Wadham College, died on April 11 at his residence, Burnham House, Walton Manor, Oxford. He caught cold about a month ago, and had been gradually sinking for some days past. He was in his 94th year, and was one of the oldest members of the university, having graduated in 1805. He proceeded to the M.A. degree in 1810, B.D. in 1820, and D.D. in 1831. He was ordained deacon in 1809 by the Bishop of Salisbury, and a priest in the following year by the Bishop of Gloucester. He was elected fellow and tutor of Wadham College in 1811, and warden in 1831, resigning the latter office in 1871. He was one of the select preachers to the university in 1813, 1821, and 1831, proctor in 1818, public examiner in 1819–20 and 1824–25, and vice-chancellor in 1844–48. He was Whitehall preacher in 1823, and one of the lecturers at the City Church, Oxford, from 1820 to 1840,


General Sir Francis Wheler, Bart., C.B., late of the Bengal Cavalry, died on April 4, at the Roccles, Sydenham, aged 77. The deceased, who was born at Crakemarsh Hall, Staffordshire, in 1801, entered the Indian army in 1818, and had seen a great deal of active service in the East Indies. He served in Bundlecund in 1821–22, also in Afghanistan in 1839–40, including the assault and capture of Ghuznee (medal) and pursuit of Dost Mahomet Khan (third class of the Dooranee Order). With the 7th Cavalry he served throughout the Punjab campaign of 1848–49, was present at the siege and capture of Mooltan, as well as at all the operations in its vicinity, and commanded the cavalry in the attacking column at the action of Soorujkund (medal with clasp, brevet of lieutenant-colonel, and men. tion in depatches). In the Indian mutiny:he served as brigadier in command of the Sauger district, and was thanked by Lord Clyde in general orders for his


Major-General Ferdinand Whittingham, C.B., second son of the late Lieutenant-General Sir Stamford Whittingham, died on April 28, in his 66th year. The deceased served for many years in the 26th Cameronians, accompanying the regiment to China in 1842, and serving as aide-de-camp to Sir Hugh Gough throughout the first China war, including the actions at Segoan, Chapoo, Woosung, Shanghai, and Chin Kiang Foo (medal, brevet of major, and C.B.). He subsequently served in command of the 2nd battalion 4th King's Own, and retired on full pay, with the honorary rank of major-general, in April, 1865.



We regret to record the sudden death of the Duchess of Argyll, which took place at 2.35 on May 25. Her Grace, together with the Duke and the Ladies Campbell, was dining with Lord and Lady Frederick Cavendishattheir house in Carlton House Terrace, the Duke of Devonshire and other friends being also present. Dinner had just commenced, when the duchess was seized with apoplexy. Medical aid was instantly summoned, but the case was from the first pronounced hopeless, her grace having suffered two previous attacks. The deceased, Elizabeth Georgiana, Duchess of Argyll, was the eldest daughter of George, second Duke of Sutherland, K.G., and Lady Harriet Elizabeth Georgiana Howard, third daughter of George, sixth Earl of Carlisle, and was consequently sister of the Duke of Sutherland, the Duchess of Leinster, and the Duchess of Westminster. The late duchess was born May 30, 1824, and married July 31, 1844, the Duke of Argyll, then Marquis of Lorne, by whom she had issue five sons and seven daughters, all of whom survive their mother. Her eldest son, Marquis of: Lorne, born August 6, 1845, is married to Her Royal Highness the Princess Louise; Lord Archibald, married to Janey, youngest daughter of the late Mr. James Henry Callander; Lord Walter, married to Olivia, only daughter of Mr. John Clarkson Milns; and Lady Edith, married to Earl Percy, M.P. Her late Grace was Mistress of the Robes to the Queen from December, 1868, to January, 1870. The sad intelligence was telegraphed to Her Majesty at Balmoral early in the morning, the Queen having been previously informed by telegraph of her Grace's sudden and alarming illness. The remains of the Duchess were privately removed from Lord and Lady Frederick Cavendish's residence in Carlton House Terrace to Westminster Abbey on May 27, to rest till June 3, on the morning of which day they were conveyed to Scotland to be consigned to their final resting-place.


Mrs. Bright, the wife of the Right Honourable John Bright, died suddenly, on May 13, at his residence, One Ash, near Rochdale. On Sunday Mrs. Bright was in her usual state of health, and attended the meeting at the Quakers' Chapel. On the morning of the 13th she was found in an unconscious state, having fallen down in one of the rooms of the house, and she died in about a quarter of an hour. Mr. Bright was in London at the time, but a telegram being immediately sent to him, he arrived at Rochdale in the evening. The deceased lady was Margaret Elizabeth, daughter of the late Mr. William Leatham, of Wakefield, and became in 1847 Mr. Bright's second wife. On May 14 the Queen sent a telegram from Windsor Castle, to Rochdale, expressing her deep sympathy with Mr. Bright in his bereavement. The remains of Mrs. Bright were interred on May 15 in the burial-ground of the Friends' Meeting House, Rochdale.


Dr. Robert Carruthers, who was for fifty years editor of the Inverness Courier, and only recently retired from that post, died at Inverness on May 26. He was the author of a “Life of Pope,” a standard authority, and was associated with Messrs. Chambers in some of their most important literary enterprises. In

1871 the degree of LL.D. was conferred on him by the University of Edinburgh. Dr. Carruthers was in his 79th year.


The intelligence of the death of the Right Hon. Russell Gurney, M.P., senior member for Southampton, and until a few weeks ago Recorder of London, will be received with great regret. Mr. Gurney had been in failing health for some time, and an intimation of this was conveyed in his letter to the Lord Mayor, in which he resigned the Recordership since the beginning of the present session of Parliament. After retiring from the judicial bench, however, he attended to his duties in the House of Commons; but on May 27, on returning home from a sitting of that assembly, he took cold, and bronchitis intervening, he gradually sank, his death taking place at his residence in Kensington Palace Gardens on May 31. The deceased gentleman, who, throughout his long life, enjoyed the respect of political opponents and associates alike, was a son of Sir John Gurney, one of the Barons of the Exchequer, and was born at Norwood in 1804. Having received his education at Trinity College, Cambridge, he was called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1828, and was made a Queen's Counsel in 1848. When, in December, 1856, Mr. Stuart Wortley resigned the Recordership of London in order to become Lord Palmerston's Solicitor-General, Mr. Russell Gurney was elected by the Court of Aldermen as his successor. At the general election of 1865 he was returned in the Conservative interest for Southampton, and has since continued fo represent that constituency. In the following year, upon the outbreak of the disturbances in Jamaica, he was appointed the head of the Royal Commission of Inquiry sent out to the island by Lord Russell's Government. He was also a commissioner under the Treaty of Washington, for the settlement of British and American claims. Among the measures Mr. Gurney carried through the House of Commons was the Public Worship Regulation Act.


The death is announced of Thomas Frazer, M.D., R.N., Deputy InspectorGeneral of Hospitals and Fleets, as

« 上一頁繼續 »