« 上一頁繼續 »
Fryar — *Lady Galliard in City Heiress—* Princess of Cleve in ditto.
1682. *Belvidera—*Anna Bullen in Virtue Berayed—* Arabella in London Cuckolds.
T. R. 1682. *Marmoutier in Duke of Guise.
1683. Margarita in Rule a Wife—Panthea in King and no King.
1684. *Lucina in Valentinian altered—*Portia in Atheist—*Fausta in Constantine—Mrs. Fitchew in Northern Lass.
1685. *Leonora in Sir Courtly Nice.
1686. *Laura in Banditti.
1687. *Lady Fulbank in Lucky Chance.
1688. *Barzana in Darius—*Oryala in Injured Lovers.
1689. No new character.
1690. *Marguerite in Massacre of Paris—*A1meyda in Don Sebastian—*Alcmena in Amphitryon.
1691. * Queen Mother in Edward 3d—*Dorinda in Greenwich Park—*Eugenia in Scowrers.
1692. *Cassandra in Cleomenes—*Fulvia in Regulus — *Lady Subtle in Marriage-hater—*Mrs. Friendall in Wives' Excuse—*Queen Eleanor in Henry 2d—*Lady Malepert in Maid's last Prayer.
1693. *Lsetitia in Old Batchelor—*Sophronia in Richmond Heiress—*Lady Touchwood—*Victoria in Love Triumphant.
1694. * Isabella in Fatal Marriage—cast for *Lady Jane Gray in Innocent Usurper.
L. I. F. 1695. Mrs. Frail.
1696. * Panthea in Cyrus the Great—*Lady Single in Love's a Jest—*Lady Testy in Country Wake—*Lady Dorimen in She Gallants—*Ura
VOL. II. H H
nia in She Ventures and He Wins—*Homais in Royal Mischief.
1697. *Lady Grumble in City Lady—*Elvira in Unnatural Brother—*Boadicea in ditto—*Lady Brute—*Zara in M. B.—*Bellinda in Innocent Mistress—*Vandosme in Intrigues at Versailles.
1698. *Laura in Beauty in Distress—*Lamira in Fatal Friendship—*Chruseis in Heroick Love— *Queen Catharine in ditto—* Olivia in Deceiver Deceived.
1699. *Tamira in Xerxes—*Armida in Rinaldo and Arraida—* Julia in Princess of Parma—*Adellaida in False Friend—*Semanthe in Friendship Improved—* Queen of the Scythians in Iphigenia.
1700. *Favonia in Fate of Capua—*Mrs. Marwood—* Ambitious Stepmother.
1701. *Leamira in Double Distress—*Lady Lovetoy in Lady's Visiting Day—* Queen of Bayonne in Love's Victim—*Zarriana in Czar of Muscovy.
1702. *Arpasia in Tamerlane—*Altemira in ditto —*Lucasia in Stolen Heiress.
1703. *Calista—*Issamenea in Governour of Cyprus—*Eugenia in As you find it—#Clorinda in Fickle Shepherdess.
1703-1704. *Sakia in Liberty Asserted—Cleopatra in All for Love—Mrs. Page.
L. I. F. and Hay. 1704-1705. *Mrs. Clever in Biter —* Lady Wealthy in Gamester—*Zelmanein ditto.
Hay. 1705-1706. *Clarissain Confederacy—•Penelope in Ulysses—*Constantia in Revolution of Sweden—*Arcabon in British Enchanters.
1706-1707. Evadne in Maid's Tragedy—Lady Easy—Queen Elizabeth in Unhappy Favourite— Ruth in Committee—Lady Cockwood in She wou'd if she cou'd—*Almyna in ditto—Roxana—Calphurnia—Angellica in Rover—Almeria in Indian EmperQur—Camilla in Adventures of five Hours—Queen Katharine in Henry 8th—* Phaedra in ditto.
1707- 1708. *Rodogunein Royal Convert—*Lady Wronglove in Lady's last Stake—Lady Macbeth.
D. L. 17O8. *Valide in Irene—Nourmahal in Aurenge-Zebe—Scornful Lady.
1708- 1709. She acted for Betterton's bt., but was not engaged.
Hay. 1709-1710. No new character.
In the Churchyard of Acton is the following memorial for Mrs. Barry, viz.
Near this Place
Aged 55 years. ( Curlt.)
Pinkethman had a theatre for the Summer—he opened on June 15.
July 1. Hamlet = Powell: Ghost = Elrington : Polonius = Spiller: Horatio = Bullock Junior: Gravedigger = Leigh: Marcellus = Shepherd: Rosencrantz — Ryan: Fop = Norris: Queen = Mrs. Powell: Ophelia = Mrs. Spiller.
6. Rival Queens. Alexander — Powell: Clytus = Elrington: Hephestion = Bullock Junior.
12. Fair Quaker. Mizen (by desire) = Powell. 15. Macbeth = Powell: 1st Witch = Pinkethman. Aug. 3. (Edipus = Powell: Adrastus=Ryan.
7. Busy Body. Marplot = Spiller.
12. Powell's bt. Royal Merchant. Merchant= Powell: Higgen = Spiller: Prigg = Norris.
17. For the entertainment of Esquire Bickerstaff, who will honour Pinkethman with his presence. Fond Husband. Bubble=Norris.
24. For bt. of Jubilee Dicky, alias Norris. Sea Voyage. Captain — Elrington: Lieutenant = Powell.
26. Pinkethman's bt. The Rover. Willmore= Powell: Ned Blunt by the famous true Comedian Cave Underhill to oblige Pinkethman's friends; with an Epilogue by Pinkethman on an Ass—this was Underhill's last appearance.
28. Ellington's bt. Caius Marius. Old Marius = Powell: Young Marius = Elrington: Nurse = Mr. Norris :—with a mimic Prologue by Elrington.
Sep. 7. Sir Courtly Nice = Powell: Sir Timothy Callico = Pinkethman :—with the famous scene between Brutus and Cassius by Powell and Thurmond.
9. Powell's bt. Relapse—with a new Prologue by Powell, and a new Epilogue by Powell and Mrs. Spiller, on the hardships suffered by Lawyers and Players in the long vacation.
11. Spiller's bt. Confederacy. Dick = Powell.
23. For benefit of Pinkethman and Powell. Maid in the Mill. Otrante = Powell: Bustopha = Spiller.
30. Tamerlane = Shepherd: Bajazet = Elrington: Moneses = Powell: Dervise = Norris. (Bills front B.M.)
HAY. And D. L. 1710-1711.
Collier, at the close of the season 1709-1710, had reaped so little advantage from his theatrical concerns, that he exerted his court interest to support him in another scheme, which was, that in consideration of his giving up D. L. with the clothes scenes and actors to Swiney and his partners, he himself might be put into equal possession of the Hay. with the singers &c. and be made sole director of the Opera—accordingly by permission of the Lord Chamberlain a treaty was entered into, and in a few days
ratified by all parties on the foresaid conditions
This was that happy crisis of Theatrical liberty, which the labouring actors had long sighed for, and which, for above 20 years following, was so memorably fortunate to them—there were however two hard articles in this treaty, which, though it might be policy in the actors to comply with them, were yet very unfair and despotic—the 1 st was, that £200 a year should be payed to Collier, while master of the