ePub 版

2d Session.


JANUARY 3, 1931.

Mr. DE WITT, from the Committee on Revolutionary Claims, made the

following REPORT

On the memorial of Frederick Raymer,' of the town of Dryden, in the

county of Tompkins, and State of New York, referred to said committee.

From satisfactory evidence laid before the committee, it appears that the memorialist, in the year 1777, resided in Pittstown, near the city of Albany, and cultivated a farm. Early in the summer of that year, Gen. Glover, commanding a brigade of continental troops, arrived at Haifmoon point, a place well known on Hudson's river, and, amongst others, pressed the memorialist, with his team, to assist, as he understood, in conveying the baggage of the brigade to Saratoga. The memorialist was employed in this service ten days, when, being taken sick, he received permission to retire, though his horses and wagon were retained, and not restored to him. For them, and for his own pains and labor, he has never received any compensation. It further appears, that, while absent, his family were driven from home by the enemy, and fled to Lansingburgh, (a village upon the left bank of the Hud. son, about seven miles above Albany,) where he joined them. Having partly recovered his health, in a few days he was again pressed, with another team, by Col. Brewer, to carry a load of ammunition from Lansingburgh to Bennington, Vermont, for which the Colonel paid him. On returning from thence, he visited his farm at Pittstown, to bring away some things left behind; and, mounting one of his horses for the purpose of calling upon a neighbor not far off, he was, at the house of that neighbor, taken prisoner by a party of tories and Indians. In the night, they got his other horse, and conducted both, with him, into the enemy's camp at fort Miller, where the animals were sold to British officers, the one for ten guineas, and the other for thirty dollars and a bottle of wine. The memorialist was detained a prisoner until the surrender of Burgoyne, when, being released, he returned home in feeble health, and continued in that state until the ensuing spring. In consequence of these untoward events, he was unavoidably compelled to neglect his farm; and not only were the crops growing upon it in 1777 entirely lost, but no opportunity was afforded to put in seed for others. In the course of the war, he was, in all, about four months upon the lines, invariably defraying his own expenses going and returning, and occasionally on horseback when calls were urgent. For this, also, he has never received any compensation.

The committee are convinced, from the vouchers produced, that the character of the memorialist is beyond reproach. He was true to his coun.. try in the hour of need, and, in their opinion, deserves a recompense for the losses thus sustained. At the close of the war, and at different times since, measures were taken by him to bring his claim before Congress for settlement; but, owing either to the want of sufficient evidence, or some other cause, these measures have hitherto been unsuccessful. He is now aged, infirm, and in very reduced circumstances. Whereupon, it is

Resolvert, That the said Frederick Raymer be paid the sum of three hun. dred dollars out of the Treasury, in full satisfaction of his claim, and that a bil! for that purpose be reported.



JANUARY 3, 1831.
Read, and laid upon the table.

Mr. STERIGERE, from the Committee on Private Land Claims, made the



The Committee on Private Land Claims, to which was referred the re. solution of the House of Representatives, directing the committee " to inquire into the expediency of allowing the claim of George Mayfield to six hundred and forty acres of land, reserved to him by the treaty made with the Creek Indians at Fort Jackson in 1814,report:

That they find, on examination of the treaty made with the Creek Indians at Fort Jackson in 1814, as ratified by the Senate, that it does not reserve any land to said George Mayfield; and that consequently he cannot be ent tied to any land under that treaty. In a written communication submitted to the committee by the Hon. John Bell, of the House of Representatives, it is stated, that, at the negotiation of the treaty of Fort Jackson, "a reservation of six hundred and forty acres of land was reserved to him, the said George Mayfield, in the treaty,” but that “ that part of the treaty which included the reservation was not ratified by the Senate.”

Taking these facts for granted, the committee do not think they give Mayfield any claim on the United States. It will not be disputed that the part of the treaty relating to said reservation must have been ratified by the Senate before any right could vest in Mayfield, or that some assent or agreement on the part of the United States should be made to give him an equitable claim to said reservation or tract of land. It appears, however, from Mr. Bell's statement, that the Senate did not only not allow the reservation, but expressly rejected the article of the treaty in which it was contained. The committee are unanimously of opinion that the claim of George Mayfield to six hundred and forty acres of land, mentioned in the resolution refer. red to them, should not be allowed.

2d Session.


JANUARY 3, 1831.

Read, and committed to the Committee of the Whole IJouse to which is committed the bil

(H. R. No. 245) for the relief of John Sapp.

Mr. WILLIAMS, from the Committee of Claims, made the following


The Committee of Claims, to whom were referred the petitions of Joseph

C. Belt and George Stockton, report.

Joseph C. Belt states that he was a captain in the 28th regiment of United States' infantry during the late war with Great Britain. When the army was at Bass island, in lake Erie, General Harrison, with a view to invade Canada, on the 26th September, 1813, issued an order directing the officers and soldiers of the regular army to leave their baggage of every kind. At the same time an assurance was given, that, as soon as a landing was effected, the baggage should be transported from Bass island to the army. The schooner Chippewa was despatched, after the landing of the army, for the baggage, and on the return voyage was blown off in a gale of wind, and driven to the lower end of the lake, where she was stranded near Black Rock, During this time the greater part of the baggage, including the petitioner's, was thrown overboard and totally lost. A small portion of it, however, as he has since been informed, was recovered, and stored away at Black Rock, which was taken by the British a few days thereafter. In consequence of this loss, either by the storm, or by the capture of Black Rock by the enemy, the petitioner asks to be remunerated. He exhibits an account against the Uni ed States as follows, to wit: eleven Irish linen shirts, made of the finest linen, and ruffled, $118 25; one full dress uniform coat, trimmed with silver Jace, $65; one ditto, without silver lace, $50; one undress frock, blue cloth, $50; two pair blue cassimere pantaloons, full trimmed, $40; two pair ditto, cotton ditto, janes, $22 50; two blue cassimere vests, $28; two ditto, flannel, and two pair drawers or slips, $15; twelve white cravats, $12; two black silk cravats, $4; three silk pocket handkerchiefs, $6; one black leather stock, $2; eight pair of cotton and yarn stockings, $8; one pair of boots, $10; two pair of shoes, $7; one cap and plate, engraved Infantry Regiment, $20; one dress epaulette, $50; one fine parade sword, $75; one portable cot frame, to use as seats in the camp, $8; two portable mess boxes, $24; two pair country lineo sheets, $12; one barrel of whiskey, bought at Bass island, $33;

« 上一頁繼續 »